Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year Rememberences

It's a New Year, so naturally I should say new me, right? Have all these New Years Resolutions, and only hope that I can stick to them.

How can I make new ones, when i'm still working on what I learned in 2014.

I don't want to create a new me, I want to keep building on the me that I am becoming. I have learned a lot about myself this past year, the main thing being that what I have is enough; not only in my golf game, but also in life. This statement that I have said countless amount of times is becoming engrained into my brain, but if I don't continue to keep saying it, then it can go away in the blink of an eye.

Yes I want to be the best me that I can possibly be, but the way to do that (for myself) is to take what I learned about myself in the previous year, and continue to apply these things to my life.

Over the break, I watched a movie called The Legend Of Bagger Vance - if you haven't seen it, you definitely should. There are two quotes that I loved from the movie that were both said by Bagger Vance. The movie is about a man named Junuh who attempts to recover his game and his life from this mystical caddy Bagger Vance. Bagger Vance, played by Will Smith, is a wise, yet mystical, caddy that comes into Junuh's life and allows him to recover who he is, how he plays, and remind him that he never lost who he was, he just forgot that what he had was enough; and when he remembered and believed that he was enough- he was great.

Here are two quotes from the movie that really stuck out to me

Yep... Inside each and every one of us is one true authentic swing... Somethin' we was born with... Somethin' that's ours and ours alone... Somethin' that can't be taught to ya or learned... Somethin' that got to be remembered... Over time the world can, rob us of that swing... It get buried inside us under all our wouldas and couldas and shouldas... Some folk even forget what their swing was like...

Now play the game... Your game... The one that only you was meant to play... The one that was given to you when you came into this world... You ready?... Stike that ball Junuh don't hold nothin back give it everything... Now's the time... Let yourself remember... Remember YOUR swing... That's right Junuh, settle yourself... Let's go... Now is the time, Junuh...

"over time the world can rob us of that swing, it gets buried inside us under all our wouldas and couldas and shouldas..." - the world and things that happen to us can take away our beliefs in ourselves and our belief that what we have in this world is enough. We look at other players and other peoples lives and look at what they can do better than us, or look at what they have compared to what we have. But reminding myself that I am enough allows me to remember what my swing is like, remember who I am and what I stand for, and remember that God has given me everything I need.

I used to struggle with the fact that I don't hit it as far as most girls out there, but instead of focusing on what I couldn't do - my Coach (Coach Sutherland) helped me focus on what I could do, and I had a great season because of it. I shot the lowest score of my career, 66, and I finally realized to myself that I have game, and a game that is perfect for me. I might not hit it past everyone out there, but I know how to play my own game from where I do hit it, and that was the game that only I was meant to play. When you focus on what you can do and remember that what you have is enough - you are destined for greatness. In golf and in life.

Not only has this statement helped me with my golf game, but it has helped me with who I am as a person as well. If you believe in yourself and who you are, nothing can knock you down. My happiness is now decided by me, and not other people. I am enough for me, I don't have to be enough for everyone else. I used to strive to try and please everyone in my life, but that is impossible - and I was leaving out the most important thing; making myself happy.

2014 was a great year for me, and therefore I have thought a lot about what I want to accomplish in 2015, and it all reflects to what I learned about myself in 2014. I am enough. I am not trying to be enough for anyone else, except myself, and since I have started believing in who I am, I have been on a roller coaster that only goes up. Therefore my one goal is to maintain this belief, not only throughout 2015, but throughout the rest of my life. It is not just a New Year Resolution, it is a Lifetime Resolution.

What I have is enough. Who I am is enough. And what you have and who you are is enough too.

I wish everyone a happy New Year!

God Bless and Pony Up!




No comments:

Post a Comment